Airplane photos

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Here is my collection of personal airplane pics that I've taken over the years.
I don't always bring my camera with me, so I haven't documented every single flight, but here's what I have so far.
I will add more as time, money and camera-bringing remember'ness allows.

You have my permission to use any and all of these pictures however and wherever you like, but please leave me a comment or email me at dmahnarch@yahoo.com if you do.
I'm interested in knowing where my photos end up.
Also, credit me on the page, somewhere.


Some rainy day pics (The italic words are the conversations that are typical between an Air Traffic Controller [red] and an Airplane [black] over the radio.)


Taking off from a stand still at Gerald R. Ford Intl. airport, Grand Rapids, Mi.
Grand Rapids Ground, Cessna 64943, Ready for departure to the west - Runway Niner Right. Grand Rapids.
Cessna Niner-Four-Three, Grand Rapids. Cleared for take off. Runway Niner Right - Departure to the West. Climb and maintain three thousand until clear of the ariport. Niner-Four-Three.


Rolling down the runway: Gerald R. Ford airport. Grand Rapids, Mi.


Over the runway. Gerald R. Ford Intl. Grand Rapids, Mi. (taken my the passenger)
Grand Rapids Departure, Cessna Niner-Four-Three. Downwind, Runway niner - right. Leaving traffic pattern to the West. Grand Rapids.
Cessna Niner-Four-Three, Grand Rapids, roger. Radar contact, 1 mile south of Grand Rapids. Continue on your current course to Tulip City. Niner-Four-Three.


The tail is NOT on fire. Check!. Tulip City. Holland, Mi.


I-196 in fog over Holland, Mi. (Notice the white blot at the edge of the horizon. The following pics will reveal the secret behind it.)
Tulip City Airport, Cessna Niner-Four-Three is Three Zero miles from the airport. Inbound to land, runway niner.
[Tulip city is an uncontrolled airport, so no resonse is typical unless there is an emergency.]


25 miles on final approach for Tulip City. Holland, Mi. (the faint 'T' in the distance)


20 miles on final approach for Tulip City. Holland, Mi. ('T')
Tulip City, Cessna Niner-Four-Three. Two Zero miles, inbound to land, runway niner.


15 miles on final approach for Tulip City. Holland, Mi. ('T')


2 miles on final approach for Tulip City. Holland, Mi. (A-HA! The infamous "T")
Now you know how we find some runways up there.
Tulip City, Cessna Niner-Four-Three. Two miles, inbound to land, runway niner.


Touchdown on the runway. Tulip City. Holland, Mi.


Fun in the clouds
"Some of these are not in order or during the same flight."


On the edge of the front.


Cloud.


6000ft above ground, in the clouds.


Climbing through. I hope they're soft, like Charmin.


You never realize how fast 135mph is until you're next to a cloud.
(The cloud I'm actually flying through is hard to see in this photo.)
[The backwards 'L' shaped thing hanging from the underside of the wing is what measures wind speed and altitude]


Above the cloud layer. 6500ft above ground.


High above Baldwin, Mi. (That's Big Star Lake cut off on the left.)


High above Zeeland, Mi.


Climbing above random clouds.


The 'Loft-Allower', or more commonly known as 'a wing'. Clouds in background.


Cloud tops off the starboard. (That would be the 'right' side of the airplane.)


Over Zeeland, Mi. Overlooking Holland Mi. [Park Township airport is the short grey parallel line that's two fingers width to the right of the highway (I-196)]


Lake Maca-toilet (Macatawa). Notice how brown the water is compared to Lake Michigan.


An "Opps!" shot, taken while turning the plane. Lake Mi. is in the background.


Lake Macatawa to Lake Michigan harbor.


Lake Michigan shore of Holland, Mi. from 7 miles offshore.


Lake Mac from Lake Mi. POV. 6 miles offshore


Cloud tops over western Mi. w/ Lake Michigan lakeshore in foreground. Over Holland, Mi.


'Vomit-view' of the shoreline of Holland, Mi. Taken at a 30 degree incline.


Camera shudder-speed test. Engine RPMs= 2300. Over Holland, Mi.


Part of downtown Holland, Mi. [West Shore Mall (to the left, grey) and Outlet Horizon Mall (orange roves)]


Horizon Outlet Mall. The home of the 'Sveden Haus' buffet, before it went out of business. It had some good food, cheap.


My 'hood'. My 'crib' is the white dot around the center of this pic.
(A little lower than center, actually.)


I can see my house from up here!!


I have no idea where I am, here. (I did at the time, though. This pic is over 2 years old.) Edit: I remember now. This is over Borculo, Mi.


This is before they 'fixed' Port Sheldon Road. Both ends of the intersection now "S" shape until they meet straight across.


Riverview airport


Empty tarmac. A Cessna 152 on runway, taking off.


My new ride. Piper Warrior.


Cockpit of Piper Warrior.


Piper Seneca on landing. Viewed from a Piper Warrior.


Instruments all set.
From top left-right:
Airspeed Indicator (how fast you're moving through the air, not over the ground.)
Attitude Indicator (relationship of the plane to the ground, not how mad the pilot is. Blue means 'Sky'. Black means 'Certain Death'.)
Altimeter (How high above SEA LEVEL you are. Ground level is depicted on maps. SEA LEVEL - GROUND LEVEL = HEIGHT ABOVE GROUND.)
Glidescope/VOR (Used for cloud flying and direction finding. Too hard to explain here.).

Bottom row, left-right:
inclinometer (how much bank you have in a turn.)
Gyro-Compass/Gyro-Rosebud, etc... (very sensitive compass indicator)
Pitch indicator (tells if you're climbing or descending.)
Back up Glidescope/Direction finder [VOR]

The square row of gauges under them is:
Left fuel tank, Engine temperature, Battery, Oil temp, and Right fuel tank.


Instrument panel
during flight!!!
From the information I gave above, you can see that I'm currently: Flying at 80 mph, in upright flight, about 100ft above the ground, VOR inactive, slightly turning to the left, facing North (and turning, obviously), climbing at 600ft/minute, second VOR inactive.


Cessna 152 and Piper Warrior in parking.


Special parking for us. No touching. "Stay on your side!"


Neat-freak plane owners.


My truck in the Pilot's lot. A Piper Cub in the background.


Piper Cub,
sans my truck.


Warrior. Rear view.


Cessna 152 in parking.


A bunch of me.


Me in a Cessna 152.


Me calling Ottawa Executive for approach.
(Notice the brown stain on the sun visor. How do you get a coffee stain on the
sun visor??!!....Well, there was this one time.......upside down......bluuaah!!)


Me relaxing with a beer (Beer is just out of sight)*

*Actually, there is no beer. This is just outside of Muskegon Airspace.


Just some plane shots


A Warrior in refurbishment.


My 'second-first-plane-flown-by-me'.


The Navajo that I once wished to fly. It was sold before I got to Multi-Engine training due to airport owner sickness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home